All incoming freshmen who wish to be admitted to the University Honors Program will need to complete a separate Honors application (in addition to the CSU application). The honors application is linked to the CSU Application for Admissions. Students who meet the minimum GPA to be accepted to the program will be invited to complete our additional Honors application. The minimum high school GPA required for admission to the Honors program is 3.7. More detailed application instructions can be viewed here.
Preference for admission to the University Honors Program is given to high school students who have:
- Rigorous, extensive, and in-depth academic preparation in subjects such as Humanities, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Natural Sciences, Social Sciences, and History. Most successful applicants have completed or are taking AP, IB, or dual college courses and have earned good grades in those courses.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Superb records of academic achievement as indicated by grade point average, class rank, and standardized test scores.
- An application narrative and a recommendation that show promise for high academic achievement in university work.
- Special accomplishments, life experiences, and talents (for example, service and leadership) that add diversity to the incoming class.
- A desire to participate in, and contribute to, an honors community.
All incoming Honors freshmen receive a $1000/year Honors scholarship after they are admitted and confirm that they wish to participate in the program. Additional university merit scholarships are also awarded to qualified students. Students who wish to be considered for these merit scholarships are strongly encouraged to apply to CSU by the early action deadline (December 1) to receive full consideration. CSU application materials (application, transcript, test scores, and recommendation letters) must be complete by February 1st to be eligible for most merit scholarships. For more information on freshmen merit scholarships and deadlines, please see the Office of Financial Aid website.